Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
The Mental Capacity Act: Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards procedure (MCA DoLS) provides the legal framework which ensures that deprivation of liberty does not happen to vulnerable people living in hospitals or care homes, and the definitions by which this sort of deprivation is measured and assessed. It creates an environment in which both vulnerable people and their carers can be protected.
Upon completion of this course you will receive a certificate with your name, CPD hours, date and learning objectives.
The course also contains additional resource materials, useful links and a handy refresher guide.
Once you’ve completed this course, you’ll have a good working knowledge of:
- What the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards are and who they apply to
- The background to and the law regarding the safeguards
- What deprivation of liberty is and when and how a person can be deprived of their liberty
- The difference between restraint and deprivation of liberty
- Situations that can lead to deprivation of liberty and strategies to help prevent it
- The process of identifying risk and requesting both ‘standard’ and ‘urgent’ authorisation
- The requirement to keep good records
- The six assessments
- The role of an Independent Mental Capacity Advocate
- What happens when the assessments are completed and the requirements are not met/met
- The relevant person’s representative and their role
- Authorisation and review
- Applications to the Court of Protection
- The role of the Care Quality Commission
- Unauthorised deprivation of liberty
- The Mental Capacity Act made simple
- Background and the Law
- The Authorisation Process
Purchases of 10 or more courses will automatically receive a 10% discount at checkout. We also offer discounts to charities and organisations looking to buy licenses in bulk. Contact us for more information.Contact us
5 reviews for Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
I have recommended this website and course to others in my class at college.
Very good – clear and simple guidance.
I feel much more confident now in terms of the procedures for the authorisation process.
I enjoyed doing this course. I would like to do something like this again if given the opportunity.
The course was very interesting and not too long, also very well put together.
I really enjoyed the way the course was set up, I found the sequence of events and combination of learning and testing very helpful.
I found the course content very informative and for this reason, would recommend the course to colleagues.
I found the course extremely thorough and informative.
Really enjoyed this course. Found it easy to use and was able to complete it at my own pace.
I found the course informative and hopefully will help me with the actual work in my workplace.
Do you have a question?
Whether its a technical question or a sales enquiry, our helpdesk and sales team will be happy to help.